Department: E911 Center
Position Title: Part Time Telecommunicator
Pay Classification: TCE 06 (Starting Wage - $13.82/hr)
Reports To: EMA Director and E911 Deputy Director
Date of Job Description Creation/Update: 3/22/2016
Specialized work in telecommunications at the highest level operating public safety communications network that involves receiving, recording, evaluating and transmitting requests for emergency and non –emergency response for police, fire EMS and other services from citizens and emergency field units.
- Must have a clear and distinct speaking voice with good hand writing and typing skills and the ability to type at least 30 WPM.
- Must have the ability to stay calm under extreme pressure with the ability of quick recall of information and procedures.
- Must be able to work shifts, weekends, and holidays as scheduled by supervisors.
- Ability to work with considerable independence as to critical decision making based on procedures and practices of the communications center.
- Possess skills in operating standard emergency radio equipment, automatic alarm monitoring devices and other telecommunicating equipment.
- Ability to obtain information from excited people and to establish priorities.
- Ability to learn all functions and jurisdictions pertaining to and have a thorough knowledge of county geography.
- Ability to pass a state test on CLEAN (Commonwealth Law Enforcement Assistance Network) computer system within 60 days of hire.
- Ability to take and carry out orders from supervisors.
- Ability to meet established audio logical testing minimums.
Certificates and Licenses:
Possess a minimum of a high school diploma
Possess a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license.
- Receive from public telephone calls for emergency and routine response for police, fire and EMS services.
- Operate all telephone and radio equipment in the center to obtain needed information to assure the correct emergency response is sent to the appropriate location.
- Enter data into and retrieve data from electronic data processing systems that includes but not limited to, emergency information systems entries, CLEAN/NCIC file entries, and fire and EMS computers.
- Maintain any required local fire alarms, burglar alarms, test sirens, pagers and radio systems.
- Maintain extensive records of events, circumstances and actions initiated for all incidents processed during the work shift.
- Ensure that all equipment in the communications center is in operating condition and report any that is not to the supervisor.
- Maintain good communications with various police, fire and emergency agencies in Mercer County and surrounding counties.
- Performs other related tasks or duties as may be required or assigned by supervisors.
How to Apply:
All interested applicants must print and complete the Standard County of Mercer Application for employement. Applications can also be obtained and submitted at the Human Resources Office located on the basement level of the Courthouse.
Please send the completed standard application, a letter of interest, salary history, resume (if applicable), and three references to the following:
Mercer, PA 16137
The E911 Center test of Basic Skills will be conducted prior to interviews. Qualified applicants will be called to select a testing time.
Deadline to Apply: July 23, 2016