Department: Juvenile Probation Department
Position Title: Line Juvenile Probation Officer
Pay Classification: P&A 6 Entry Level (Est. $36,264/yr.)
Reports To: Chief Juvenile Probation Officer
Date of Job Description Creation/Update: 7-19-2018
Overall Descriptions of the Position:
- Position is Full Time (35 hr/wk) with a benefit package
- The Mercer County Juvenile Probation Department operates under the direct supervision of the Mercer County Court of Common Pleas
- Bachelor’s Degree with background of at least 18 credits in the behavioral or social sciences. Master’s Degree preferred.
- Excellent assessment, communication, computer and writing skills
- Pa. Child Abuse History Clearance (CY 113)
- Pa. Criminal Record Check for Employment (SP4-164)
- FBI Criminal Background Check (COGENT)
- Minimum of three years of experience in the Juvenile Justice or related human services field.
- Valid Driver’s License
- Base knowledge of Evidence-Based Prevention and Intervention Programs.
- Knowledge of collateral human service agencies, schools and community-based resources.
- Motivational Interviewing and Self-Defense Training (trained by department)
- Certification in Drug Testing, Pepper Spray, Expandable Baton, and TASER (trained by department)
- Knowledge of handcuffing and search and seizure procedures (trained by department)
- Investigation of alleged delinquency referrals or related matters as directed by the Courts
- Perform and interpret the results of the YLS Risk Assessment Tool.
- Schedule and attend Court Hearings and pre-trial meetings
- Preparation of written pre-disposition reports (social history) with dispositional recommendations and case plan to the Courts, to include court presentation and testimony.
- Take into custody and detain a child under the purview of the Juvenile Probation Department.
- Data Entry of case information into the PA Juvenile Case Management System (JCMS).
- Daily interaction with Victim/Witness Coordinator.
- Collection of restitution and court costs
- Case management of delinquent children to include completion of all fiscal/case management paperwork.
- Direct supervision of alleged delinquent children at school, in their home and in the community, as authorized by law.
- Monitoring of out-of-home placements and the development of after-care treatment plans to facilitate the child’s successful reintegration to the community.
- Transportation of delinquent youth to court, shelter care, placement facilities, etc.
- Monitor delinquent children placed on electronic monitoring, perform drug screens and oversee day community service.
- Must be available 24/7 for crisis intervention in emergency situations.
- All other duties as assigned by the Chief Juvenile Probation Officer or the Courts.
Duties are consistent with requirements outlined by the PA Juvenile Act (Title 42 PA C.S Section 6301 et. Seq.), Rules of Juvenile Court Procedure, Balanced and Restorative Justice, the Juvenile Justice Enhancement Strategy and standards set forth by the Mercer County Court of Common Pleas and the Juvenile Court Judges’ Commission.
How To Apply:
Please send the standard County application, letter of interest, salary history, resume, and three references to the following:
Mercer County Human Resources Dept.
Mercer, PA 16137
Copies of College transcripts and clearances will be required upon interview.
Deadline to Apply: October 5, 2018