Department: Mercer County Bridge Department
Position Title: Bridge Engineer
Pay Classification: P&A 10 (Entry $56,304/yr - $79,838/yr)
Reports To: Mercer County Board of Commissioners
Date of Job Description Creation/Update: 10/12/2016
Overall Descriptions of the Position:
This is supervisory of high-level professional staff work in the field of civil engineering functioning as the County Engineer.
An individual in this position supervises all engineering activities associated with the location, design, or construction of several complex civil engineering projects such as roadway approaches, and bridges. Assignments are received or developed with little or no technical instructions, and the individual proceeds with independence in working out the details and organization necessary to complete projects. Work requires the independent selection of courses of action and the resolution of problems within the framework of broad engineering and administrative guidelines. The individual in this position is also tasked with assuring compliance with the requirements of the National Bridge Inspection Standards. Supervision is normally exercised over technicians, inspectors, maintenance, and support staff.
- Knowledge of engineering principles and practices applied to bridge planning, location, design and construction.
- Knowledge of inspection and testing of bridge materials.
- Knowledge of surveying.
- Knowledge of engineering hydrologic analysis and design.
- Knowledge of structural design.
- Knowledge of right-of-way acquisition procedures.
- Knowledge of estimating and specifications preparation.
- Knowledge of roadway design and route location.
- Knowledge of environmental design.
- Knowledge of erosion and sedimentation control procedures.
- Knowledge of plans and site inspection methods for all forms of construction.
- Knowledge of bridge safety inspection requirements to maintain compliance with National Bridge Inspection Standards (NBIS) requirements.
- Ability to prepare engineering projects.
- Ability to perform work under adverse weather conditions, and physical agility necessary for climbing and navigating hazardous terrain.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other county departments, state and federal agencies, and others having business with the Department.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
- Four Year Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Four years of progressively responsible experience in civil or structural engineering.
- Registered as a Professional Engineer in the State of Pennsylvania.
- Successful completion of a Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) approved comprehensive bridge inspection training course.
- While not mandatory, a Certified Bridge Safety Inspector certificate is desirable.
- Possession of a valid PA driver’s license.
- Direct supervision and oversight of the employees of the Mercer County Bridge Department, to include Clerical staff, Maintenance Staff, Engineering Technicians and Bridge Inspectors.
- Prepares annual Bridge Inspection Schedule and Cost proposal for Inspection Reimbursement agreement.
- Responsible for NBIS compliance for all County bridges and Local bridges that are under agreement.
- Responsible for bridge inspection and structural analysis rating of all bridges with spans greater than 8-foot along the centerline.
- Acts as Inspection Team Leader for safety inspection of structures as needed for safety of personnel and of the public.
- Responsible for preparation of Bridge Inspection Reports.
- Develop bridge posting recommendations
- Data entry into BMS2 and iForms.
- Maintain bridge inventory and inspection records.
- Develop maintenance, repair and replacement schedule from inspection data.
- Act as county administrator for PennDOT’s web based systems including BMS, ECMS, RAS, JPA, SPN, EDMS and others. Assign and revoke roles and access rights to these systems for various county employees and administrators
- Perform site location survey or obtain survey data as required to prepare base maps for project development.
- Prepare CE type environmental documents as related to bridge replacement design using the PennDOT web-based CE Expert system, or paper based documents.
- Prepare hydrologic and hydraulic studies as required for bridge replacement. Use appropriate hydraulic programs as dictated by PennDOT design manuals for the site drainage area.
- Prepare Erosion and Sediment Control plans as required by the current E&S Manual published by the PA Department of Environmental Protection.
- Prepare Waterway permit submissions using the PennDOT web-based JPA system, or paper based documents in the format as required by the PennDOT design manuals.
- Prepare Type, Size and Location Studies and reports in accordance with PennDOT design manuals.
- Coordinate site soil sampling and foundation investigations as necessary for foundation approval of replacement projects.
- Prepare structural design and analysis as required for bridge replacement or repair projects. Use appropriate PennDOT approved software for the type of structure designed or analyzed.
- Prepare roadway design and analysis as required for bridge replacement or repair projects. Use appropriate PennDOT approved software for the type of structure designed or analyzed.
- Coordinate required utility relocations as required for repair or replacement projects.
- Coordinate right of way acquisition as required for projects.
- Direct preparation of complete plans for projects, including quantities, cost estimates, schedules, specifications, and development of project special provisions. Typical plan sets include Roadway, Traffic Control, E&S, Structure, and Cross Sections.
- Prepare bid packages and advertisements for projects, review bids, and recommend awards.
- Review project shop drawings and submittals for compliance with design intent.
- Assure that construction projects are adequately staffed for inspection and construction monitoring. Field review construction as required to assure projects are being constructed in accordance with specifications and design intent.
- Review and process estimates for payment.
- Develop, direct and supervise the local bridge maintenance program.
- Develop and monitor Departmental budgets.
- Performs general office work.
- Performs required or assigned work.
Please complete the standard County of Mercer Application and send a letter of interest, salary history, and your resume to the following:
Mercer County HR Department
Mercer, PA 16137
** The County of Mercer Standard Applications can be found at www.mcc.co.mercer.pa.com or can be obtained by stopping in the Human Resource office located on the basement level of the Courthouse.
Deadline to Apply: February 1, 2017
Position Estimated start Date: On or around Feb. 6, 2017