Department: Mercer County Jail
Position Title: Correctional Officer (Part-Time)
Pay Classification: JCO 00-00 ($15.69/hr. Entry Wage)
Reports To: Warden and Deputy Warden(s)
Date of Job Description Creation/Update: 12/17/20
Correctional Officers will perform the direct supervision of inmates at the County Detention Facility according to laws, regulations, and policies of the State of Pennsylvania and Mercer County. Officers will enforce the facility rules and maintain facility security. Officers are responsible for the care, custody, and control of inmates at the facility.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Directly supervises inmates in the facility during all aspects of their incarceration such as housing, visitation, meals, medication distribution, searches, activities, work programs.
- Enforce the rules and regulations of the facility
- Must be able to act quickly, assess situations carefully, act in accordance with policy and procedure, and protect self and others (inmates and co-workers)
- Conducts periodic cell pod checks, performs searches of inmates, performs searches of cells and other areas for contraband
- Maintains discipline among inmates
- Responds appropriately to emergencies in the prison (which may include assaults, fires, riots, disturbances, natural disasters, medical emergencies and hostage situations)
- Maintains and updates Facility records (written, typing and basic computer skill required)
- Receives and books inmates (perform fingerprinting, photographs and searches)
Physical/ Age Requirements:
- Must be trained on and be able to perform weaponless self-defense and restraining techniques
- Must be trained on and be able to perform the operation and use of restraining devices
- Must be trained in and be able to perform initial first aid services to inmates as needed
- Regularly walk, stand or stoop; occasionally lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects weighing up to and over 100lbs.
- Use tools and equipment requiring a high degree of security
- Walk, stand, crouch or run on narrow, slippery inclining or erratically moving surfaces
- Stair climbing required (all cell pods are 2 levels)
- Sit and stand for sustained periods of time
- Must be 21 years of age
- Must pass a physical, drug and psychological evaluation post employment offer
- Must pass a criminal background check post offer of employment.
- Position requires up to 30 hours of work per week on an average annual basis.
- Must have a High School Diploma or GED
- Bachelor’s degree preferred in criminal justice, social service or related field
- Ability to perform multiple activities and quickly identify inappropriate inmate conduct
- Ability to perform basic math
- Ability to communicate via radios
- Ability to work the rotating shifts (including weekends and holidays) as require by a 24/7 operating facility
- Ability to train for 4 weeks or more at the Academy at the Department of Corrections.
- Ability to work mandatory overtime
- Must have a valid Driver’s License
- All other duties as assigned
How to apply:
All interested applicants must print and complete the Standard County of Mercer Application for employment.
Please send the completed standard application, a letter of interest, salary history, resume, and three references to the following:
Mercer, PA 16137
Deadline to Apply: April 30, 2021
Must be postmarked by Deadline date