RECYCLING AND SOLID WASTE DEPARTMENT
The Mercer County Recycling/Solid Waste Department delivers comprehensive waste management and recycling programs.
Counties are required by Pennsylvania to update and implement Municipal Solid Waste Management Plans every ten years. Plans must include an array of programs.
Programs and responsibilities of the department include:
- Develop and implement Municipal Solid Waste Management Plan,
- Assist municipalities in meeting Act 101 requirements concerning waste and recycling programs; education; collection; and grant writing,
- Produce educational programs, handouts, and activities about recycling, composting, illegal dumping, household hazardous wastes, buying recycled products and other environmental issues,
- Provide technical assistance to businesses, institutions, and organizations regarding their waste reduction, recycling, and energy conservation efforts,
- Manage the Big Blue Bin program,
- Develop collection opportunities for hard-to-dispose materials such as appliances, batteries, electronics, fluorescent lights, household hazardous waste, and tires,
- Work with nonprofit organizations and municipalities on anti-illegal dumping and littering programs,
- Help develop markets for recyclables.